A nationwide, month-long celebration of cinema inspired by the Scala Cinema's legacy of the early ‘80s and ‘90s, the Scalarama film festival encourages communities to come to together to watch films in usual and unusual places. This year 11 Nottingham venues are taking part including The Chameleon, Savoy Cinema, Rough Trade, Nonsuch Studios, Works Social, City Arts, Kings Walk Kitchen and Quasar Elite.
“Scalarama is not just about films, it's about communities of people coming together for a joyous celebrations of cinema. We’re really excited to present such a classic film with our own Japanese twist. The line up for the whole of September is brilliant, there is so much variety and something for everyone to enjoy as venues are being transformed and cinemas popping up in unexpected places. Open to everyone, it’s also a brilliant opportunity for enthusiasts or venues new to screening films to get involved ”
Proving that it doesn’t have to be all work and no play is the team at Works Social who will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 1999 cult classic “Office Space” on Thursday 12th September in their event space, as well as holding the festival’s closing party and film quiz on Monday 30th September from 6pm.
Avid cinema goer and co-founder of Work Social Han van Oudheusden said:
“Scalarama is a fantastic celebration of all things film and we’re excited to be able to be a part of its fifth year here in Nottingham. We have a versatile event space and it is great to combine work and social and bring even more like-minded people together through a passion for cinema.”
Scalarama Nottingham has been active since 2012’s Scala Beyond and has often boasted the most number of screenings outside of London. Last year’s highlights included a screening of The Running Man at Nottingham Quasar with optional laser-quest adventures, plus multiple open air screenings in plazas parks, abbeys, and gardens.
The full film and event line up includes:
- 1 September, Sunday, 5 – 10pm: Opening Party + DJs, Larry Crywater & Guests play Film Soundtracks, The Chameleon
- 2 September, Monday, 8:30 – 10:30pm: The Hourglass Sanatorium, Savoy Cinema, Presented by Porlock Press
- 8 September, Sunday, 7 – 10pm: Enter the Dragon, Rough Trade Presented by Chef Jugz and The Loft Movie Theatre
- 11 September, Wednesday 6 – 10pm: Frida Taco: Mexican Film + Food Night, Nonsuch Studios
- 12 September, Thursday, 6 – 10pm - 20th Anniversary: Office Space Screening, Works Social
- 14 September, Saturday, 6 – 11pm - Fortune & Glory Film Club: Piranha 3D, City Arts
- 19 September, Thursday, 8 – 10pm - Subterranean Cinema Club: The Descent – In a Cave, The Angel Microbrewery
- 21 September, Saturday, 7:30 – 10:30pm - Based On A True Story Cinema: Lost in Translation with mini Temaki Sushi School, Kings Walk Kitchen
- 21 September, Saturday, 8pm – 12am - Partial Facsimile: Media OS 5.1 + Richard Norris (Group Mind), Metronome
- 24 September, Tuesday, 8:30 – 10:30pm: True Romance: The Loft Movie Theatre, Savoy Cinema
- 27 September, Friday, 8 – 11pm: Retrowave Film Club Presents: Tron, Quasar Elite Nottingham (Laser Tag)
- 29 September Sunday, 6:30pm - 10pm - Profondo Rosso, The Chameleon
- 30 September, Monday, 6 – 10pm - Closing Party - Scalarama Social + Film Quiz, Works Social